LCP Writers Forum

Where writers of all levels exchange ideas, discuss the craft, and talk about publishing.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Another twist to editing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March

Abe F. March

Another twist to editing Empty
PostSubject: Another twist to editing   Another twist to editing EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 2:30 pm

I just read something that I think makes sense.

"The secret to editing your work is simple:
You need to become its Reader instead of its writer."

Brenda.  Do you agree with that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.abemarch.com
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin
Brenda Hill, Admin

PostSubject: Re: Another twist to editing   Another twist to editing EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 4:14 am

Sounds good, Abe, but that doesn't work for me. I'm too much of an editor to change hats and become a reader, especially when I've already been over the material so often that I have it memorized.

What does work for me is to set the manuscript aside a few days, even weeks, and work on something else. Then when I go back to the pages, I spot things I hadn't been able to see before. The longer I can set it aside, the fresher my eyes are when reading.

Sometimes I'm happy with what I wrote, other times it's, "What in the world was I thinking?"

Brenda Hill
Editing
Workhops
L. Cooper Press
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brendahill.com
Domenic Pappalardo

Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Another twist to editing   Another twist to editing EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 1:21 pm

Brenda Hill, Admin wrote:
Sounds good, Abe, but that doesn't work for me. I'm too much of an editor to change hats and become a reader, especially when I've already been over the material so often that I have it memorized.

What does work for me is to set the manuscript aside a few days, even weeks, and work on something else. Then when I go back to the pages, I spot things I hadn't been able to see before. The longer I can set it aside, the fresher my eyes are when reading.

Sometimes I'm happy with what I wrote, other times it's, "What in the world was I thinking?"

I agree Brenda...I too have to put my work aside for a time before reading it. The old saying holds true..."All the hard work comes after the story is written." I always have the, "What the hell does that mean?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another twist to editing   Another twist to editing Empty

Back to top Go down

Another twist to editing
Page 1 of 1