LCP Writers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LCP Writers Forum

Where writers of all levels exchange ideas, discuss the craft, and talk about publishing.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The truth hurts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March

Abe F. March

The truth hurts Empty
PostSubject: The truth hurts   The truth hurts EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 5:18 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.abemarch.com
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin
Brenda Hill, Admin

The truth hurts Empty
PostSubject: Re: The truth hurts   The truth hurts EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm so glad you posted that video, Abe, because I love it. I love when he - Jeff Daniels - says 'we used to be the greatest country in the world.'

Each day new policies are thrown in my face that defies explanation. CA is nearly broke -one nearby city, San Bernardino, has filed bankruptcy - yet I'm told because of a new law which goes into effect Jan 1, 2015, 1.4 million driver's licenses will be issued to undocumented immigrants. Undocumented? Illegal is the proper word. I descended from immigrants. My husband's family were immigrants, but they did it the proper way. And they learned English to help their children do better in schools, the community, and everywhere else. We secured our borders and allowed those peoples in who wanted to be here, and they assimilated into our culture. And yes, many kept their own traditions as well, and most of the country tried and loved them. Although I can't say I ever learned to even like Lutefisk, a part of my husband's heritage.    

We were taught to respect our elders, our flag and our country - our music and tv shows reinforced those beliefs. Our businesses catered to their customers because we were the ones who built them. They didn't cheat us by taking their production overseas, which put many out of work, and still expected us to be loyal customers.  

Our schools reinforced our loyalty to the country by reciting The Pledge each morning. We said it in English and used the now almost-forbidden word, "God.' Not Allah, not anything else. Our children were not taught that our country's forefathers were 'racists.'

Yes, as a country, there were many things we did wrong, but we also did many things right. On the whole, American was great and I'm hoping the new elections will help get us back on the right track before all is lost.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
D. J. (Don) Stephens

D. J. (Don) Stephens

The truth hurts Empty
PostSubject: Re: The truth hurts   The truth hurts EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 3:27 pm

AMEN!

Thanks for posting it Abe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djstephens.org
Abe F. March

Abe F. March

The truth hurts Empty
PostSubject: Re: The truth hurts   The truth hurts EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 3:47 am

Brenda, you expressed my feelings.  I'm often criticized when I refer to the past.  I think that we are the sum total of our past.  If we can understand what it was in our past that made things work, we can make it happen again.  Where did we go wrong?  That's the big question IMV.  
There are several things that come to mind.  We were taught to respect our elders. That was a very big thing.  Our parents supported the teachers.  I was told that if I got a “licking” in school, I would get one twice as hard when I got home.  Those were not just threats, but acted on.  Our Policemen were called, Sir.  They were obeyed.  Secondly, we had the draft.  Every young man was required to serve.  For those who never had obedience training at home, they got it in the military.  They learned to respect authority as well as learn a trade.  They also learned more about the country they served.  They respected the flag and when the National Anthem was played, in or out of uniform, one stood at attention and either saluted or placed their hand over their heart.  The pledge of allegiance in school was done as a rote thing and I am not a promoter of that.  The same can be said for repeating the Lords Prayer, however it may be the only place where a child learns the word to both and it doesn’t mean much to a child.

I think when we stop thumping our chests, we are on a path of healing.  The cliché, “Actions speak louder than words” is a truism.  Learning the language of the country wherein you reside is not something for discussion.  It is a must if one is to acclimate.  That is a subject that continues to be discussed in Europe with all the refugees pouring in.  The tendency for many refugees is to segregate themselves and try to live life as they did in their former country.  Some want to throw their garbage out the window (I kid you not) instead of using the receptacles supplied.  There is now cultural training provided that includes language and what is expected of them to blend into society.  Before they can become citizens, they must past a language and cultural test.  

Immigrants should not be turned away.  As you mentioned, our ancestors were all immigrants.  
It was immigrants that built our country.  They worked together for survival.  What we did to the Native American is not part of this subject.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March

Abe F. March

The truth hurts Empty
PostSubject: Re: The truth hurts   The truth hurts EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 10:17 am

I will add to my previous post although I’m taking a risk.

Way back when, movies and songs were love stories.  Even commercials used sex as symbols for product promotion.  Old movies were about boys pursuing girls and getting married.  Boys whistled at girls.  Then something happened.  Sexual harassment became a theme.  My Son, who got his PhD at Berkeley, moved to Germany.  He said: “Out here, if you look cross-eyed at a girl, you will be accused of sexual harassment.”  That was an exaggeration, but the point made.  Girls and women in general have their hair done and buy the best clothes to appear attractive. For what purpose?  Do they want to appeal to other women or to men?  It seems to me that they want attention and then complain about the attention they get.  What went wrong?  Women’s Lib changed things.  In business, women tried to dress like men.  I’m not a Unisex person.  I still find women attractive and pay them compliments.  I’m past the phase of sexual pursuit, but I can still dream and acknowledge beauty.  
Then came “Political Correctness”.  The days of programs like “All in the Family” and even “MASH” would not be tolerated today.  Sensitivity has gone to the extreme.  If you wish to make reference to a “non-white” person, it is difficult to determine what word(s) to use.  If you were asked to describe the appearance of a burglar, you would be asked for a complete description and that would include color.  Are they Negro, Colored, Black or what?”  Niger is a country and the word means black.  It is possible that the word Nigger was derived from that word and became a racial slur.  Where I grew up there were no off-whites in our neighborhood or in school.  The first non-white man I met was when I was in the USAF.  We became best friends.  Growing up, I heard the word, “Nigger” and thought it meant someone of lower class.  It was a stereotyped expression.  Accept the fact that people are different and that does not entirely mean color.  There is language and culture that cause differences in outlook and attitudes.  We like to associate with people of like minds and way of life.  I see nothing wrong with that.  I wouldn’t want to be part of forced integration.  I choose the neighborhood where I want to live and I choose my friends.  I may be of “Old School” and will not apologize for that.  I like where I live and the friends I have.  I have recently “unfriended” people on FB and that included a relative.  I get tired of hearing uninformed BS.  I don’t need or want that in my life.
Back to top Go down
D. J. (Don) Stephens

D. J. (Don) Stephens

The truth hurts Empty
PostSubject: Re: The truth hurts   The truth hurts EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Abe,

Although you and I don't aways agree politically(usually never, just different sides of the fence), I couldn't agree more with the above posts.

The ACLU and Unions have their place, but both have pushed way too far!

JMHO
Back to top Go down
http://www.djstephens.org
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin
Brenda Hill, Admin

The truth hurts Empty
PostSubject: Re: The truth hurts   The truth hurts EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 12:39 am

And I, too, agree with both of you. If it weren't late and I wasn't totally exhausted from a long day's activities, I'd probably say more. But I absolutely agree. Bravo!
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Sponsored content

The truth hurts Empty
PostSubject: Re: The truth hurts   The truth hurts Empty

Back to top Go down

The truth hurts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LCP Writers Forum :: Chat Box-
Jump to: