LCP Writers Forum

Where writers of all levels exchange ideas, discuss the craft, and talk about publishing.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Suspending Novel Writers Workshop

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Suspending Novel Writers Workshop   Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:00 pm

For over a year my monthly writing workshops in Redlands have been full. And that was good. It showed that writers wanted to learn the craft – which is the way it should be. When I was learning to write, I spent several years and a lot of money attending writing classes, some online as well as traveling to other locations for campus courses. Each was an expensive, intensive course, but well-worth the time and expense.

So when I offered monthly workshops on the craft of writing at bargain rates, I offered quite a deal. I spent a lot of time preparing each lesson, creating handouts for each student, and incorporating tips I’d used to write my own novels.

But now I’m seeing a different trend.

Newbie writers are flocking to the different critique groups that have appeared in the area. That’s good. I support any and all learning experiences and companionship with others who share the same goals.

But not as a substitute for learning the craft.

Critique groups are only as good as the most knowledgeable person, and if that person does not know the craft, he/she can’t help a newbie writer. Worse, they might not realize what they don’t know. Critique groups are great for help on flow, grammar, punctuation, but will they help you with plot points or how to write a scene?  

So if you join one, be sure you realize that you’ll only receive help/advice on said grammar, punctuation, etc. That’s great, too, as far as it goes. And be aware that an English major may not be the right person to critique your fiction. The head of one critique group tried to ‘correct’ a writer’s dialogue.

But as a result of this trend, I’m suspending the workshop on techniques – at least for now, to concentrate on my own work. As a writer, editor, writing coach, and now L. Cooper Press Gen Mgr, I have all I can handle. I’ll still accept invitations to present the craft to writers’ groups throughout SoCal because I still love sharing what I’ve learned. I have two coming up this spring. But no longer on a monthly class basis.

So for those of you who have attended, thank you, and best of luck on your novels! And if you’re thinking of self-publishing, take a look at what L. Cooper Press has to offer.

Thanks, y’all!

Brenda Hill
Editing
Workhops
L. Cooper Press
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brendahill.com
krbarnett

PostSubject: No More Novel Workshop   Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Brenda,
Sorry to hear you're closing up shop for now. Please know that what you did was EXTREMELY helpful, to me at least. While I only attended three or four of the workshops, what I learned was invaluable. After each class I wound up rewriting my "Eleventh Message" novel again. It is now back up on Amazon (paperback only), and I even figured out how to do my own cover! Thanks again, and I'll watch for a grand "reopening" in the future.
Ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Suspending Novel Writers Workshop   Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:50 pm

How nice, Ken. Thanks for the encouraging words, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the workshops. I'll take a look at your cover.

Brenda Hill
Editing
Workhops
L. Cooper Press
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Suspending Novel Writers Workshop   Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Great cover, very striking. I'm impressed. Cool

Brenda Hill
Editing
Workhops
L. Cooper Press
Back to top Go down
krbarnett

PostSubject: Re: Suspending Novel Writers Workshop   Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:22 am

Hi, Brenda,
Just saw another workshop you scheduled for Feb. 5. I thought you were shutting down for awhile. Is the Feb. 5 meetup going to happen, or is it an error? If you're really having it, I'll RSVP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Suspending Novel Writers Workshop   Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:45 pm

That's for a new critique group, Ken. Not lessons on the craft.

Brenda Hill
Editing
Workhops
L. Cooper Press
Back to top Go down
krbarnett

PostSubject: Re: Suspending Novel Writers Workshop   Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:09 am

Ah, then this is where the whip comes out. Sounds like fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Suspending Novel Writers Workshop   Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:17 am

Only two showed for the critique session, so it's not worth the time & effort. I've decided to schedule something I enjoy: a social event for writers. We'll meet and talk about anything anyone wants to talk about or to ask questions.

I thought Mimi's in San Bernardino would be good, but someone said it was too expensive for them, so I thought about the nice weather we've been having and decided the outdoor court between Jersey Mike's Subs and Five Guys across from Target in Redlands would be good. Now the weather has turned colder, but who knows what it'll be in April?  We'll see.

Inland Empire Writers Circle

Brenda Hill
Editing
Workhops
L. Cooper Press
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspending Novel Writers Workshop   

Back to top Go down

Suspending Novel Writers Workshop
View previous topic View next topic Back to top