LCP Writers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LCP Writers Forum

Where writers of all levels exchange ideas, discuss the craft, and talk about publishing.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Name Usage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
krbarnett

krbarnett

Name Usage Empty
PostSubject: Name Usage   Name Usage EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi, All,
I am currently working on a new novel titled "Skeletons of Weavers Needle." This involves some elements of Nazi Germany, the Fourth Reich, and Odessa. Part of the plot uses the children of high-level Nazis (Hitler, Himmler, Bormann, Goebbels, etc.) being evacuated in secret by submarine to Argentina. Is it okay to use actual names without permission, or should I stick with fictional names? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks. My thought was that the actual names would be more of a grabber than fictional names.
Back to top Go down
Victoria Howard, Mod
Admin
Victoria Howard, Mod

Name Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Usage   Name Usage EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 3:57 pm

That's a tricky question! Ordinarily, I would say 'no don't use actual names unless you have the person's permission to do so. I think this is a question best answered by someone with legal experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victoriahoward.co.uk
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin
Brenda Hill, Admin

Name Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Usage   Name Usage EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Ken, I agree with Victoria. Most advisors say if you're going to write about historical characters, you must stick to the absolute truth, to not change any of the facts as they're known. The big problem is with the decedents who might strongly object to how you've portrayed their ancestor. But be careful - you're still open the lawsuits. Even if you change your characters' names but they're still recognizable as famous people, you can be liable.

If this novel will be with one of the major publishers, their vetting dept will check the legalities. Otherwise, you're treading on a 'slippery slope.'
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
krbarnett

krbarnett

Name Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Usage   Name Usage EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks to both of you. Think I'll stay safe and use completely fictional names of "high-level Nazis." I think people will get the message.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo

Domenic Pappalardo

Name Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Usage   Name Usage EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Hitler, Himmler, Bormann, Goebbels...these guys are dead, and if they were not dead I don't think they would come out of hiding to take you to court. Now if people are alive, using their name can cause you trouble. If what you write you can prove true...they have no case.
In a story I wrote, "Naked in West Upton," all the characters are real people, but I am having them do things that never happened. most of these people have passed away, but they still have family...so I changed parts of their names.
If you tell the truth, and can prove the truth, you have no problem. Lie...you have a problem. Different name, no problem. Your story is fiction. I could write a story of a Roman leader 2,000 years ago, and make up all kinds of stuff..lie. Would I be in trouble? NO.
The rule, "If in doubt, don't do it."
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin
Brenda Hill, Admin

Name Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Usage   Name Usage EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 12:34 pm

True, Domenic, but using names of real people, even tho they're dead, can be a costly problem. They have families, and sometimes family members get upset when they see their names in stories. Especially fiction. Your last sentence says it all: If in doubt, don't do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Sponsored content

Name Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Usage   Name Usage Empty

Back to top Go down

Name Usage
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LCP Writers Forum :: Books in Progress-
Jump to: