LCP Writers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LCP Writers Forum

Where writers of all levels exchange ideas, discuss the craft, and talk about publishing.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Brenda Hill, Admin
Admin
Brenda Hill, Admin

Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash? Empty
PostSubject: Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?   Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 2:23 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
D. J. (Don) Stephens

D. J. (Don) Stephens

PostSubject: Re: Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?   Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 6:50 pm

I think it's important to write what you know. What you know from either actual experience or detailed research. I believe that even when writing fiction knowing what you're talking about adds credibility to the story.

I try and use my military background and the people I've met for a lot of my information. I try and incorporate places I've been. Most of the places mentioned in my stories I've either been to the sight or spent time in the area around them.

A lot of my characters (although conceived in my mind) are based on people I have known or a compilation of several of them.

As far as "back story" you need enough to give the reader insight into the character, but not so much it becomes the story.

JMHO, but it appears to me it's a whole lot easier to write about what you know, but that's me. I have never understood how science fiction writers do it, they seem to make it all up in their heads.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djstephens.org
Abe F. March

Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?   Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 2:52 am

I agree with Don. His books reflect his comments. Writing from what you know, using experience as the base, makes the story credible. Including information obtained from others whose experience is trusted adds to the story's depth. Imagination will always play huge role. Even when we read or hear about an event, our imagination takes over.
Background information is needed to set the stage, however too much as a lead-in can become laborious to the reader. Enough to set the stage and whet the appetite is the "appetizer" needed to enjoy the meal.

Back to top Go down
http://www.abemarch.com
Victoria Howard, Mod
Admin
Victoria Howard, Mod

PostSubject: Re: Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?   Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 4:06 pm

I thinking writing about something with which you are familiar is useful advice for a novice writer. However, ideas for stories can come from anywhere - newspaper articles, a radio programme, an overheard conversation, or in my case, from looking at a stunning beach property on Gasparilla Island, Florida while vacationing there. A good writer isn't afraid of research, they relish the opportunity to weave a story around an interesting fact.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victoriahoward.co.uk
D. J. (Don) Stephens

D. J. (Don) Stephens

PostSubject: Re: Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?   Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Victoria,

I agree about ideas come from anywhere, but as I said in my original post, "What you know from either actual experience or detailed research."  
Nothing turns me off to a story faster than someone talking about something they know nothing about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djstephens.org
Domenic Pappalardo

Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?   Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash? EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 9:55 am

A writer is all over their work. If you write non-fiction, fiction or science fiction...you are telling the world who you are inside. Writing is Therapy…you are learning who, and what you are as you write. Take note of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?   Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash? Empty

Back to top Go down

Write What You Know: Sage Advice or Hogwash?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LCP Writers Forum :: The Craft of Writing-
Jump to: