LCP Writers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LCP Writers Forum

Where writers of all levels exchange ideas, discuss the craft, and talk about publishing.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Religion and Interpretations

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March

Abe F. March

Religion and Interpretations Empty
PostSubject: Religion and Interpretations   Religion and Interpretations EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 5:42 am

I am baffled at the continuing ignorant, or shall I say, stupid remarks when it comes to religion. In the past weeks, I’ve read remarks on FB such as:
“I don’t want to hear anything about Allah, the Muslim’s God. We pray to a Christian God and there should be no reference about Allah in the schools. We’re a Christian Nation, etc.”

They fail to understand (or don’t want to understand) that the word, “Allah” is the Arabic name for God. The Arabs as well as the Christians believe in one God. It is the age-old religious philosophy that creates the problem. Different beliefs on how to worship this same God continues to create conflict.

When studying the history of religion, I found it interesting that many Germans that settled in Pennsylvania brought with them various interpretations of the Bible and were divided by religious Sects, later to be called religious denominations. The interpretation of a single scripture (or word in a scripture) could start a new denomination. That continued with many spin-offs and thus we have literally hundreds of churches with their special philosophical creed based on interpretations of Biblical scripture. Translations from Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, German and into English altered the meaning of words. When we examine our own English dictionary, we find how the meaning of words has changed over the years and that Dictionaries are updated to reflect current usage. Considering a similar occurrence in old languages coupled with the meanings applied in translations, it becomes a puzzle to know what meaning differentiates one philosophy from another. One word that has puzzled me was the word, “Virgin”. In early writings, the word meant “young woman”. That was translated to mean “Virgin”. Virgin in the English language has its own connotation. To say that Jesus was born of a young woman makes good sense. To believe that she was a virgin before she became pregnant is also believable. Immaculate Conception was a creation of the Catholic Church and that philosophy remains. Getting all bent out of shape over how Jesus was born and who was the father other than Joseph, is ridiculous.
We have songs with lyrics that say that Jesus was: “Born on Christmas Day.” Although that makes good lyrics, it is misleading. No one knows on what day he was born. December 25th was a day established based on pagan culture on a pagan holiday, to celebrate the birth.

I enjoy Christmas. How we celebrate this day is a personal thing. For many it is a day of “Gift giving”. I imagine that may have something to do with the “Three Wise Men” bringing gifts for the baby Jesus. That’s purely an assumption.

We know that Jesus was born and existed. According to Jewish custom, a young man had to be married at an early age. We know that some of his Apostles were married. Some Religious Scholars think that Jesus may have been a widower. Further, they think it is possible that the Church may have suppressed the fact that Jesus was married.

Whatever your religious beliefs/philosophy, it is a personal thing and should not be something that causes strife. I like the verse: “God is Love”.
Back to top Go down
http://www.abemarch.com
D. J. (Don) Stephens

D. J. (Don) Stephens

PostSubject: Re: Religion and Interpretations   Religion and Interpretations EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Abe,

AMEN to the idea that religious belief is a personal thing. Until one dies they will not know whether they were right or not.

How many of the wars over the centuries have been based on regligious conflict!
Clear back to the seven crusades raging for near two hundred years, man has been waging war and killing in the name of religion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djstephens.org
Abe F. March

Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Religion and Interpretations   Religion and Interpretations EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 9:19 am

Agree Don. During the conflict in Ireland - Catholic -vs- Christian, it was interestingly stupid. Each side praying to the same God to help them destroy the other. Some things just don't make sense.
Religious Philosophy is the culprit. Man decides on what method or ritual to use (their dogma) and determine that it is the only way. I don't think there is any right way for communicating so long as there is communication. If God is all powerful and all knowing, even thoughts are a form of communiucation.

Back to top Go down
http://www.abemarch.com
Domenic Pappalardo

Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Religion and Interpretations   Religion and Interpretations EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 11:33 am

Abe, Allah and the Christian God, YHWH are not the same God. Allah has no son. YHWh has a son who we call Jesus. The teachings are different. The terrm God is not a name, it is a title. The scriptures say there are many Gods, and many lords. Satan in the scriptures is the od of this system of things. The Romans had many Gods. All the Gods outside of YHWH to Christians are false Gods.

The conflict between Catholis, and Christian has an apex of the pope. The poes has a crown with three crowns..he claims he has the power over, Heaven, Hell, and Earth. He claims he can take a person out of Hell, and send them to Heaven...the charge for this is $50,000 (USD price 10 years ago.) He also claims he can take a person out of Heaven, and send them to Hell. It is hard for me to believe that there are so many people who believe this BS.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religion and Interpretations   Religion and Interpretations Empty

Back to top Go down

Religion and Interpretations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LCP Writers Forum :: Books-
Jump to: